Sunday, March 31, 2013

Thai Coconut Curry

Happy Easter! Last week, I was sequestered in a windowless room 'learning' things I already knew about Drupal. We built a practice site together during the training that was food themed, and since I had nothing much else to think about, I stole one of the recipes, which my trainer person stole from allrecipes.com, she said.

I'm blogging this mostly so I don't forget how I made it because it was amazing.

I adapted the list of ingredients in the recipe, made the rest of it up, and it turned out delicious. I used:

1 cup cooked brown basmatti rice
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
1/4 cup whole unsalted cashews
salt & pepper & cayenne to taste
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1.5 Tablespoons curry powder
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 cup (or so) coconut milk
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
1/2 cup pineapple chunks
1/8 cup flour
chopped cilantro to taste

Phew. So....

First, cook your rice the way your package tells you too, and when that's almost done, get started on the curry.

Melt your butter. Throw in your chopped onion. Let it get a little translucent, or brown if you're me and you're not paying great attention.

Throw in your spices & garlic & ginger. Next, peas & peppers.

Once the fruits & veggies are all nicely coated with butter & spices & deliciousness, add your coconut milk. Bring to a boil & then let simmer until it thickens. Mine didn't thicken, and I got impatient, which is why I added the flour.

Once everything thickened up, I added my pineapple & cashews. I wanted those to heat up, but not actually get too cooked down, so once that happened, I removed the pot from the heat & served it, topped with some cilantro.

I used what I had on hand. I think this would be great with white rice as well. I also would have added bamboo shoots & lime if I'd had them. I'm sure you could come up with some other great combos.

I'll also be increasing the spice level next time. I don't know why I'm always so conservative...

Let me know if you try & enjoy this recipe! I'm glad at least something good came out of three long, long days of Drupal training. Sheesh!

No comments: