Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New year

I hope all 10 of you who've watched it so far enjoyed my "walk in the rain" yesterday. It was fun to shoot & edit a video for no real reason...

Today, I'm back to the grind for what I have a feeling will be the longest three-day week ever.

I brought some brownies for all of my coworkers that I made with my awesome new Christmas mixer (Thanks, Momma!) but, so far I've only had a few takers. People are either still out of town or out of the office, or have resolved to eat healthier.

This, of course, brings me to my own resolutions...

•I really do want to eat less sugar, but not like some of my co-workers seem to want to. Moderation is fine. I LOVE moderation. But, I also have problems with it when chocolate is involved. We did our best last year not to keep sweets in the house, but I want to do better this year, and, as always, to eat as healthy (healthfully?) as possible. I've been totally psyched about cooking since we got home from our Christmas trip with a brand new KitchenAid mixer and chopper attachment, a blender & food processor. So far, I've used my new tools for every meal sans one lunch (sandwich & potatoes..not much you can do there!) So I don't think cooking delicious, healthy meals will be much of a problem.

Read more poetry: I've already told you about this one. Talked about it to death, but now I have some books in my Amazon cart waiting for Friday (payday). I'm going with some contemporary poetry to start off the year. Authors include Joy Harjo, Dean Young and of course, David Ferry. (Also in my Amazon cart is Season 1 of Girls because...yeah.)

Run 1,200 miles: I ran a lot last year, and it's something I want to stick with. This goal means I'll have to do about 25 miles per week, which seems a little daunting right now, but I'm sure I'll get there. Thankfully, the weather hasn't been too bad lately. Today was a rest day, but I'm planning an early morning run tomorrow morning.

•Finally, my creative goals: keep writing and take more pictures. Those are both pretty self-explanatory. I just need to find my SD cards first.... We're hoping for a new camera sometime this spring, though. Aaron's Canon 50D is getting scary errors; my Nikon is still plugging along, but I hate my lenses, and I know I'd be so much more excited about shooting if I had something I loved again. Aaron has tons of great Canon lenses, so we're planning on getting a new Canon body (The not-yet-released 7D Mark II?!) and a new lens or two, and then we'll be all set.

I also have some kind of undefined goal of "being nicer", which is kind of what the brownies were about. I think sharing my baking would help accomplish this. It would also fall under the "eating less sugar" goal, since...if other people are eating what I bake, I'm not. There are still a few brownies safe in my kitchen, though. Surprise, surprise.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Nice goals! A few years ago I had a similar running goal and if I remember right my goal was 1,000...you can do it!! I am itching to get back into running but my gym membership just ran out (and I'd have to pay for the entire semester up front so I'm not sure that I want to renew it...) and all the sidewalks are icy right now...sigh.

Giving away sweets is always a good idea because they you can try a new recipe out and taste test it but not eat the entire dish. Glad you are enjoying your new cooking "toys"! :)