Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Summer Reading Favorites

I feel more settled this week. I came up with a new self-schedule. I like routine during the week. What can I say? I'm getting up at 5 every morning, which means bed time is 9:30 at the latest. However, I haven't gotten to bed before 10 p.m. yet. That's OK. In the mornings, I'm running on MWF and writing on TuTh. Today was the first writing day. It was really nice to start the morning (after a hot bath and a kettle of tea) by sitting at my kitchen table watching the sun rise in my back yard and basking in the fresh unknown of a new writing project.

And despite all of the non-routine and craziness of packing and unpacking and running around, it has also been a good summer for reading. So far.

And it's strange to say "so far" because back home, summer is almost over. School starts the first or second week of August, while we have until late September.

That's fine with me, because I'll keep reading!

Right now I'm finishing up the last book in the Across the Universe series by Beth Revis. I'd heard a ton about the series on YouTube, but it didn't sound amazing to me. Too sci-fi for me, maybe. But it's not. The main character, Amy is so relatable. She basically reacts to everything like YOU would if you were frozen on a spaceship for hundreds of years and woken up to discover that things we're necessarily going as planned. It's AWESOME.

Another one of my favorite books so far this summer has been The Whispering Muse by Sjón, who I didn't know much about before I started reading. Turns out he writes songs for Björk. Figures. The short novel has great stories and beautiful writing. You want to read it. Promise.

No comments: